Friday, April 10, 2015

Drop The Mic

Host Dorian Paul D with performers
One favorite past time from our days at UW was attending spoken word performances. In keeping with tradition, Stik was able to track down a pretty significant event for us to attend—the Abu Dhabi Poetry Festival. It was hosted by Dorian Paul D, founder of Rooftop Rhythms, and included several deeply talented artists.

We were able to catch performances from local artists, a Canadian artist, as well as some from the States! A few of those by name were "G" Yamazawa (pictured with me above), Kane Smego, and Patricia Smith (or "Jimi Savannah", depending on which parent you ask). More details on this empowering event can be found at www.abudhabipoetryfestival.com.

Fun fact: "G" also lives in DC and is performing at Busboys and Poets next month! Follow his Facebook page for more details. Small world, eh?


As I mentioned yesterday, my vacation fell on Stik's birthday. After the show we enjoyed a birthday dinner at The Noodle House at Souk Qaryat Al Beri. We sat alfresco enjoying the cool air and architectural sights (most of them hotels) along the water.
 
I definitely think my Thai Chicken with cashews dish had the best flavor, and my adult beverage was the perfect pairing to both a full day and my meal.

It was also fun to have the serving staff surprise Stik with a dessert (candle, too!) and song. She thought it was a typical dinner out—not on my watch!

View of the Grand Mosque from the water taxi.
After dinner, we took a short stroll, then hopped on a water taxi. Just for fun, of course! Visit my Instagram for more videos and pics of my time in UAE.


It's been a few years since my sister-Stik and I have had the opportunity to celebrate our birthdays together. All I can say, it keeps getting better and better! 

As does my vacation in UAE! Next, I'll tell you about my time at the palace!
xo | din

My Accessories
flower headband | The Market NYC
necklace | H&M


din's Travel Notes 
Most restaurants do carry alcoholic beverages. If you do not see it on the menu, just inquire with your server. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

we love hearing from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...