Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Etihad

View of Etihad Towers from Emirates Palace

Oh, Abu Dhabi. You continue to amaze me.

Could you imagine this type of architecture as a daily part of life? As an American, I don't see these types of structures. Our buildings, some more architecturally appealing than others, are built for necessity. When it comes to the United Arab Emirates, however, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al Nahyan had a different idea: Get the Emirates on the map! And if you haven't heard by now, he did.

Approximately 40 years ago, life in the desert started shifting as structures such as these starting popping up; as well as other environmentally and tourist attracting concepts. They've attracted business and entertainment alike. Most recently, Furious 7 was filmed here. If you've seen the trailer for Furious 7, or the movie itself, Etihad Towers is the location where the car flies through the glass! I'm curious to watch the film to see if there are other structures––even if it's just a drive by–– that I might recognize.

So what kind of fancy business is going on in there anyways? Sleeping. They're hotels! Well, by the looks of it, clearly there is more than sleeping is going on. Check out the details here. So, if you're in charge of planning your team retreat, consider staying here! The fees are probably just slightly less than the Emirates Palace (stay tuned for details on that!), where I'm viewing these amazing structures in the pictures above.

I may or may not have photo-bombed tourists' precious memories on these steps. If I did, it was Stik's idea and I may or may not have laughed til I cried.

xo | din

scarf | LOFT
necklace | H&M
tank | Mossimo
skirt | Forever 21
sandals | Mix No. 6


din's Travel Tips
The exchange rate between the USA and UAE (and Qatar!) is fixed. And, most importantly if you're an American like myself, in our favor! $1 is 3.67 dirham (AED)! What I found as best bang for my buck was shopping in the local markets, or Souks. As well as dining away from the tourist attractions (aka money grabbers!). Any of your friends or colleagues who spent hundreds at brunch weren't doing it right. Keep checking back and I'll show n' tell you why!


photos | eshcala

No comments:

Post a Comment

we love hearing from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...